Monday 24 February 2014

Design wall Monday & finish

This is my design wall. An awful lot of threads, but no design.




No, I haven't finished everything, but this, 

Bonnie Hunter Leader & Ender Challenge 2013,
about 1/8 completed.

having been photographed, has gone back into its box. 

And the pinks have also been laid to rest, at least until Saturday. Maybe I'll make more this week, the Rainbow Scrap Challenge is such a nice in between project.









But this is finished. 





The centre star is an orphan block from the "Goodnight quilt" I'm making for my 7 year-old grandson. Last week it was on the design wall with the wonky log cabin blocks newly added. Now I've added top and bottom sections made from the left-over triangles from my grandsons quilt and quilted, bound and washed it.



 My Grandson's new place mat which matches his new quilt which is still waiting for me to quilt it, 


because ...





all is not well with the Bernina 440. Having been back to Bernina for most of December and part of January the BSR is not doing what it should. 








Look at the random enormous stitches (up tp 3/4") and mini stitches. Good thing I discovered this on the place mat, and not on the quilt.









In case you're not familiar with Bernina terminology:
BSR = BERNINA STITCH REGULATOR 
a special foot for free motion quilting  that ensures that whatever speed the fabric is moved at the stitches are always the same length. Yeah, sure!

The machine is great for piecing: has a foot for a scant 1/4" and a patchwork seam guide to help guide the fabric straight to the 1/4" foot, can go from two to eight layers of fabric with ease and others I've spoken to assure me that the stitch length is regulated perfectly in FMQ. So do I have a Friday afternoon machine? I'm waiting to get an answer from Bernina.

In the meantime if anyone has experience in using the BSR I'd be glad to hear from you. The sooner that quilt gets quilted, the sooner I can start on something new. I'm trying to be strict with myself here.
I'm linking up with Patchwork Times for Design Wall Monday.

Happy sewing

Marly.

1 comment:

Kate said...

Love the Leaders and Enders project! Glad you discovered the BSR wasn't working well before you did a big project. Hope they get you lined out soon.