Wednesday 10 September 2014

Preparing fabric for a trip

I shall be away from my computer for a few weeks, but have scheduled a few posts for during my absence. I shall also try to post via mobile Blogger from my iPad, but I haven't tested that successfully yet. 
I know that I shall have infrequent access to the Internet, so
I may not be able to respond to your comments very quickly.

Now I'm packing and preparing for the trip.

Cutting 1" hexagons for Grandmother's Flower Garden
This is something I once vowed I would never do again - Grandmother's Flower Garden. People change so I decided to cut up scraps and have something to do in the evenings. I really don't know how much time I'll have to sew but in any case I'll be sitting around at the airport for at least four hours altogether.

I don't have photos for everything but this is what I've done so far:
  1. Printed and cut out approx 400 (!) 1" hexagon papers using the template at http://www.lovepatchworkandquilting.com/free/free-hexagon-template-download . I used 120gm per m² card;
  2. punched a hole in the centre of each paper for the pin. I tried pinning through fabric and paper together but the paper buckled and I found it difficult to fold the seam allowance over. So yesterday evening through a mammoth rerun of Rizolli & Isles, Castle, Body of Proof, and King I punched a hole in the centre of each of the 400 papers;
  3. cut fabric into 2¼" strips and then cut using the Marti Michell Template set G into 1" hexagons (as in the photo above). Some of the strips were so small I only got one or two hexagons out of them.
Most of this is going into my suitcase but the minimum of supplies are going in my hand luggage along with a couple of dozen hexagon papers and fabric.

hand luggage sewing supplies

I'll post about the rest of the sewing gear later

Happy Sewing

Marly



3 comments:

Vireya said...

Bon voyage!

Dasha said...

Where are you off to Marly? Sounds intriguing.

Jo Ferguson said...

I love hexagon quilts and I've always wanted to make one. A friend bought me some pre-cut 1" cardboard templates (200 of them). I figured this was my sign to dive in. I'm looking forward to seeing how you progress so I can pick up a few tips.