Saturday 26 August 2017

Neutral storage

The colour for August in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge is Neutral. My scrappy project thie year is to use my scraps to make scrappy storage baskets and at the beginning of this week I was able to add another basket to the row.


All are in use, but have themselves depleted the scrap supply - what I wanted, of course - and are squishy and falling about. Maybe placing the quilting lines even closer together would have given more stability; maybe another type of wadding would have worked better. I have used what I had and the result tends to fall over somewhat when empty. Tough!


This basket has less "made fabric" than the others and more ends of strips and and long pieces from trimming backing. What all the baskets have in common though is that all are unlined. That's what drew me first to this pattern from Fiona at BubzRugz; it is quilt-as-you-go and then the sections are joined in the usual way for a bag with a flat base, with the backing serving as the lining. It's not as neat as it could be, but I'm not selling or even giving these away, they are solely for my own use and I'm not bothered about a lining; in fact I'd rather do without the hassle of turning the whole lot through a small hole in the lining.

I'm linking to
 SoScrappy
Click on the above button to pop over there and see more projects with scrappy neutrals.

Happy sewing

Marly.

9 comments:

maggie fellow said...

ah how cute - and to have a row of them in the appropriate color sounds so chic

Cathy said...

What a super idea for knocking our projects with the color of the month. I wouldn’t be surprised if you start a trend with this! Have a lovely weekend.....

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your fabric baskets are such a good idea! I remember looking at the tutorial before and wanting to try making one. I'm putting this on my list!

Kate said...

A very useful way to clean up the scrap piles.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Your basket turned out GREAT!! With the way my current NEUTRAL basket is overflowing, I had hoped to make one of your baskets this month. I may get to it yet!

With my last one, I thought about making one change. I might "bind" the join before adding the binding around the top of the basket. It will be easy enough to do and will make the basket a little more "finished." Then again... why bother? It's just for holding scraps!! Thanks again, for the post showing how to make these useful baskets.

Chantal said...

Looks great. I too wanted to make Fiona's baskets when she shared her tutorial but I haven't made one so far. It's okay. The year is not finished. ;^)

Mystic Quilter said...

Like your fabric baskets, what size are they Marly?

Kaja said...

I like this idea a lot, especially if lots of them are lined up together. And if they are a bit squishy, I guess you'll fill them up again without too much trouble.

Sandy Panagos said...

I have seen so many fun neutral projects from the August RSC, I especially like yours!