Saturday 3 March 2018

Spring Greens!

As a child I hated spring greens! They were the thinnings from the rows of cabbage, spinach and broccoli seedlings and goodness knows what else besides. My father hated waste so after meticulous washing to remove soil, into the pan they went. A couple of minutes later they landed on our plates, an extremely strong flavoured sloppy dark green mess. Yuck! No waste, remember, especially not on plates!

As the colour for the RSC this month Angela has chosen light and medium green, to remind us that spring is on its way.

A nice thought Angela, especially as we had our first snowfall of the winter (all of 5mm!) last night. I need to explain (but you don't have to read; skip the rest of this paragraph if you're not interested in freak European weather!) that in a cool temperate climate snow rarely falls in flat coastal areas where the prevailing winds are warm. It just rains! For the last ten days we have been treated to north-easterly force 8 winds from Siberia bringing, for us, excessively low temperatures but dry and sunny; if it hadn't been for the force 8 part the weather would have been pleasant. These same polar winds, having frozen our socks off then crossed the North Sea, picking up moisture as they went, and dumping it on the UK which has had its heaviest snowfall ever! Last night the Westerlies blew it back, so we got a light powdering of the white stuff. Now its melting. The ground is still frozen, so it's not over yet!

OK, back to light to medium green:


I've been joining same colour 2" squares as Leaders & Enders. Yesterday I was sorting through the box of twosies (force 8 and -8 degrees C - not going anywhere!) and found I had nearly enough yellow/green to make a 49-patch. Quite a coincidence as I hadn't seen Angela's post then. So here we are: one green block already made! I've never been so quick off the mark!

Now to start cutting for Squared Away. Mari has already posted the instructions.

I'm linking up to 
SoScrappy
Click on the button to join the RSC party.



Happy sewing

Marly.

19 comments:

Sarah said...

Skip the European weather forecast......never I'm British! Lol. Love your spring green block!

Ivani said...

I saw the news about the low temperature there. Brrrr this is not fun. Stay sewing and warm Marly. Your 49 patch star in fresh green turned out beautiful, you have a great collection of green scraps!

Ramona said...

Such a beautiful block. I think we are all ready for some spring green and you've delivered!

Katie said...

While I can understand your woes over snow, I live in an area in the US that can see a foot of snow in a day. We usually get that much at one time at least once a winter with a few other 3-6 inch storms mixed in. But we're used to it (even if we don't much like driving in it - something we also know how to handle...well, most of us...), so life goes on. But imagine the fun kids are having who haven't yet seen snow!!! And one good thing about cold? Forces us to stay inside and quilt! I love your block and how great you're off to a running start!

scraphappy said...

Staying in to sew sounds like just the right idea with weather like that. Hopefully it will be back to normal soon. Your greens are perfect! What a happy coincidence!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

We are weather nerds at our house, so when we saw it was snowing in England we paid attention! I thought that was pretty rare. You're off to a great start with that pretty block!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

neat block - sorry about your weather you must be in the East. I'm ready for spring even if I have no greens planted :)

Cathy said...

We’ve all read about The Beast From the East, so it was interesting to hear more detail about your weather. Here in Salt Lake City, as spring threatens to break out in other areas of the country, we are finally getting storm after storm of snow and rain. But they bring water, so who can begrudge it? I love your springy green block! It’s delightful to see green again, if only in our sewing!

Linda said...

I never tire of these sort of Star blocks. The white star looks great against those pretty greens. Good luck with keeping warm in the atrocious weather.

Katie Z. said...

Whatever a lovely green block!

Kate @ Smiles From Kate said...

My vote says yes for spring green, very pretty with the white star. Spring can’t come fast enough as I’m from the north east.

Jamie Janow Elfert said...

I love this block! We have a lot of green outside right now, it was a nice day, so I am running late enjoying all the greens.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats! on getting your RSC block done so early in the month. What next?! I nice LIGHT/BRIGHT GREEN of the UFO variety to work on? Additional blocks? Whatever the case, try to stay warm!!

Dasha said...

Lovely block Marly! I've been watching the news feed on FB & IG with heaps of photos of snow from various European people. Just amazing that it's been so late in the season (but very pretty ❄❄)

Cathy Tomm said...

Great star block with all that green. We got a really dump of snow today, Like up to your knees. We get snow for all of the winter and it stays. today just was a lot all at once. Roads are real nasty but we have snow tires and plows. I should have taken a photo of my spring post.

Cathy said...

Yeah, those kind of spring greens you had to eat sound yucky. But the spring greens in your block are yummy!

Sandy Panagos said...

We don't much snow here, but we did have record setting cold weather for a few weeks this winter. Good days for sewing! You've inspired me to pull out my box of two inch squares.

Kathy's A Quilter said...

wow, I don't like to hear about these nasty weather patterns. Especially for my European friends, here in Western Canada we are built to handle the cold and snow. So my heart goes out to you. But in the meantime, you have made good use of your yellow spring greens. Quilt on

Kaja said...

The weather has been mad, hasn't it? Mind you, I lived in the US and they cope perfectly fine with weather that brings the whole of the UK to a standstill. I like your greens.